Something that all business, big or small, must deal with are meetings. Not only are meetings crucial for a sales professional, but also for an effective office team. Meetings happen within all organizations everyday and many employees could have the majority of their day tied up in meetings. Efficient meetings save time and money and there is an easy way to conduct well run meetings; “small talk” vs. “real talk”.
Small talk would be anything that comments on the traffic, weather, parking, etc, that does nothing for the direction or content of the meeting.
Real talk skips the worthless banter and directs the meeting from the second you enter the room to set the stage for the meeting.
Here are a couple points that will lead to an effective meeting both internally, and with a potential client.
• Make an agenda
• Invite only crucial participants
• Designate someone to keep it moving
• Bring something to write with
• COME PREPARED!
• Know who you’re meeting
• Research the organization and individual
• Pay attention to anything that gives insight on their personality
• Craft a story or pitch that tailors to that personality
• “Winging it” and hoping for the best doesn’t cut it